Friday, November 4, 2011

FILO Friday

Living in U.S. for many Americans is already economically tough, therefore it is guaranteed to be even more difficult for minorities such as Filipino's. Not only that us immigrants have to come from another country, we have to get accustomed to America's way of living, to the language and to American cuisine. There were times that I long for a Filipino to talk to with my own native tongue, the TV soaps I used to watch every afternoon, and most of all I crave for Filipino food. So last night I hopped on the computer and looked for a dish I have been craving for a while now.

Sauteed Pork 
a.k.a.
PORK GINILING  
(giniling=ground)

**This dish is originally ground pork but ground beef works too.

 

A well known Filipino dish that translates the richness of flavor and color of our Philippine food heritage. Giniling (ground) can be made in many different ways and u can give your own touch to the dish. It is typically a sweet dish and inexpensive to make.


Ingredients
2 lbs ground beef
2 medium-sized potatoes, peeled and cubed (around 1 cup)
1 large carrot, peeled and cubed
1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and cubed
1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and cubed
1/2 cup raisins
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1/2 onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 small can of tomato sauce
1-2 cups water

2 tbsps vegetable oil
salt and pepper to taste

 green peas & hard boiled eggs or quail eggs (optional) 




Procedure
In a skillet, heat over medium heat around 2 tbsps of oil. Saute onions and garlic until translucent and fragrant. Add ground beef and stir-fry for about 6 to 8 minutes, or until the meat is brown. Regularly break beef into smaller pieces with back of spoon. Drain excess oil. Continue to cook for about 2 to 3 minutes. 
Add potatoes & carrots, stir. Add tomato sauce
Add water. Bring mixture to a gentle boil. Lower heat, cover and continue to simmer until meat is tender and fully cooked. Add more water as necessary to maintain around one or two cups. Cook until vegetables are tender and raisins are softened. Add bell peppers and raisins. Cook until crisp-tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.Add hard-boiled eggs if desired.





I am dedicating my Friday's to be my Filipino Heritage day. So I can share with you my filipino traditions, filipino cuisines & anything that reflects filipino lifestyle I may find here in U.S. as a start so I can keep up with blogland.

Linking this post to:









Stuff and Nonsense




























No comments:

About me

FIRST NAME?    Luisa May   WHO WERE YOU NAMED AFTER?    No one, My Aunt named me WHEN DID YOU LAST CRY?    Palm Sunday, Potter'...